Silversea Cruises - Final Grade: "D-"
Silversea Cruises was founded in 1994. Headquartered in
Of Silversea’s eight ships, only the Silver Shadow and the Silver Spirit have installed advanced sewage treatment systems, resulting in a grade of F for the company’s 24 percent sewage treatment score. In total, none of Silversea’s ships have scrubbers installed or shore power capability, earning the company an F in this category. Silversea operated one ship, the Silver Shadow, in Alaska from 2010 to 2014. From 2011 to 2014 Silversea chose to discharge sewage from the Silver Shadow outside of Alaskan waters, thereby avoiding Alaska’s strong water quality standards. However, the Silver Shadow did not receive any violations when it did discharge in Alaskan state waters in 2010, earning Silversea a 100 percent for water quality compliance in Alaska.
Silversea Cruises - Cruise Ship Fleet
|Ship Name||Cruise Line||Total Persons on Board||Destinations||Sewage Treatment||Air Pollution Reduction||Water Quality Compliance||Final Ship Grade|
|Silver Shadow||Silversea Cruises||684||Alaska, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Canada, Southeast Asia||11||00||11||06|
|Silver Explorer||Silversea Cruises||247||Antarctic, Central America, Europe, South America, Arctic, Canada, Africa, Mediterranean||00||00||N/A||00|
|Silver Galapagos||Silversea Cruises||175||South America||00||00||N/A||00|
|Silver Cloud||Silversea Cruises||518||Europe, Mediterranean, Africa, India, Middle East||00||00||N/A||00|
|Silver Spirit||Silversea Cruises||916||Caribbean, Central America, Mediterranean, South America, U.S. East Coast, Africa, India, Middle East||11||00||N/A||04|
|Silver Whisper||Silversea Cruises||684||Canada, Caribbean, Central America, Europe, South America, U.S. East Coast, Asia, Arctic, Australia, India, Mediterranean, Mexico, Middle East, New Zealand, South Pacific, Southeast Asia, U.S. West Coast||00||00||N/A||00|
|Silver Wind||Silversea Cruises||518||Africa, Europe, Mediterranean, Arctic, Caribbean, Mexico, U.S. East Coast||00||00||N/A||00|
|Silver Discoverer||Silversea Cruises||216||Alaska, Asia, Australia, South Pacific, Africa, Europe, New England, Southeast Asia||00||00||N/A||00|
Grading methodology for the 2016 Cruise Ship Report Card
Friends of the Earth’s Cruise Ship Report Card ranks 17 major cruise lines and 171 cruise ships -- Carnival Cruise Lines, Celebrity Cruises, Costa Cruises, Crystal Cruises, Cunard Cruise Line, Disney Cruise Line, Fathom, Holland America Line, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Oceania Cruises, P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Royal Caribbean Int’l, Seabourn Cruise Line and Silversea Cruises -- according to four environmental criteria: Sewage Treatment, Air Pollution Reduction, Water Quality Compliance and Transparency.
- To determine a cruise line’s Sewage Treatment grade, we compared the number of cruise ships in the cruise line that have installed advanced sewage treatment systems against the total number of ships in the cruise line.
- To determine the Air Pollution Reduction grade for each ship in a cruise line, we graded ships on whether they had installed scrubbers or were capable of plugging into shoreside power. Cruise ships that installed both technologies and docked in ports with shore power received an A, while ships that only installed scrubbers or only installed shore power capability but did not dock at ports with shoreside power were given a C. In addition, ships were given credit if they only utilize low sulfur fuels continuously at levels lower than required by international and U.S. law.
- To determine the Water Quality Compliance grade for ships operating in Alaska, we used notices of violation issued for individual cruise ships to each cruise line by the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation from 2010 to 2014. Ships were given an ‘N/A’ if they traveled to Alaska but avoided Alaska’s strong water quality standards by discharging outside of those protected waters.
- To determine the Transparency grade for each cruise line we graded each line based on whether it responded to our 2015 requests for information regarding their environmental practices.
- The grades for each of the four criteria were averaged to calculate the Final Grade for each cruise line.