Holland America Line - Final Grade: "C"
Holland America Line - Cruise Ship Fleet
|Ship Name||Cruise Line||Total Persons on Board||Destinations||Sewage Treatment||Air Pollution Reduction||Water Quality Compliance||Final Ship Grade|
|Oosterdam||Holland America Line||2733||Caribbean, Central America, Mediterranean, Mexico, U.S. East Coast||11||08||N/A||11|
|Westerdam||Holland America Line||2733||Caribbean, Central America, U.S. West Coast, Canada, Mexico, U.S. East Coast, Mediterranean, South Pacific||11||11||N/A||11|
|Zuiderdam||Holland America Line||2781||Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, U.S. East Coast, Arctic, Mediterranean, South America||11||11||N/A||11|
|Noordam||Holland America Line||2724||Alaska, Australia, Canada, Hawaii, New Zealand, South Pacific, U.S. West Coast||11||08||N/A||10|
|Veendam||Holland America Line||1930||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, Canada, Mexico, Central America, U.S. West Coast, Antarctic, Mediterranean, South America||11||10||N/A||11|
|Volendam||Holland America Line||2047||Alaska, Asia, U.S. West Coast, Canada, Southeast Asia||11||00||10||05|
|Amsterdam||Holland America Line||1995||Alaska, Australia, Caribbean, Central America, Southeast Asia, Africa, Asia, Canada, Hawaii, Mexico, South America, South Pacific, U.S. East Coast, U.S. West Coast, India, Mediterranean, Middle East, New Zealand||00||11||N/A||06|
|Zaandam||Holland America Line||2047||Alaska, Mexico, U.S. West Coast, South America, Antarctic, Canada, Central America, South Pacific||11||05||11||09|
|Eurodam||Holland America Line||3033||Canada, Caribbean, Mediterranean, U.S. East Coast, Mexico, South America, U.S. West Coast||11||05||N/A||09|
|Maasdam||Holland America Line||1838||Canada, Europe, South America, U.S. East Coast, Alaska, Antarctic, Arctic, Asia, Australia, Mediterranean, New Zealand, South Pacific, Southeast Asia, U.S. West Coast||11||05||N/A||09|
|Prinsendam||Holland America Line||1305||Antarctic, Caribbean, Europe, Mediterranean, South America, U.S. East Coast, Arctic||00||00||N/A||00|
|Rotterdam||Holland America Line||2004||Europe, Mediterranean, Arctic, Canada, Caribbean, U.S. East Coast||00||05||N/A||01|
|Nieuw Amsterdam||Holland America Line||3035||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, Mexico, Alaska, Canada, Central America, South America, U.S. West Coast||11||05||N/A||09|
|Koningsdam||Holland America Line||4219||Arctic, Caribbean, Europe, Mediterranean, Mexico, U.S. East Coast||11||08||N/A||10|
Grading methodology for the 2016 Cruise Ship Report Card
Friends of the Earth’s Cruise Ship Report Card ranks 17 major cruise lines and 171 cruise ships -- Carnival Cruise Lines, Celebrity Cruises, Costa Cruises, Crystal Cruises, Cunard Cruise Line, Disney Cruise Line, Fathom, Holland America Line, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Oceania Cruises, P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Royal Caribbean Int’l, Seabourn Cruise Line and Silversea Cruises -- according to four environmental criteria: Sewage Treatment, Air Pollution Reduction, Water Quality Compliance and Transparency.
- To determine a cruise line’s Sewage Treatment grade, we compared the number of cruise ships in the cruise line that have installed advanced sewage treatment systems against the total number of ships in the cruise line.
- To determine the Air Pollution Reduction grade for each ship in a cruise line, we graded ships on whether they had installed scrubbers or were capable of plugging into shoreside power. Cruise ships that installed both technologies and docked in ports with shore power received an A, while ships that only installed scrubbers or only installed shore power capability but did not dock at ports with shoreside power were given a C. In addition, ships were given credit if they only utilize low sulfur fuels continuously at levels lower than required by international and U.S. law.
- To determine the Water Quality Compliance grade for ships operating in Alaska, we used notices of violation issued for individual cruise ships to each cruise line by the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation from 2010 to 2014. Ships were given an ‘N/A’ if they traveled to Alaska but avoided Alaska’s strong water quality standards by discharging outside of those protected waters.
- To determine the Transparency grade for each cruise line we graded each line based on whether it responded to our 2015 requests for information regarding their environmental practices.
- The grades for each of the four criteria were averaged to calculate the Final Grade for each cruise line.
Holland America Line (HAL) was originally founded in 1873 as the Dutch-America Steamship Company. Headquartered in
, HAL is a subsidiary of Carnival Corp. HAL’s fleet of 14 cruise ships includes its newest ship the Koningsdam which has a capacity of over 4,200 passengers and crew. Washington State
Of HAL’s 14 ships, 11 have installed advanced sewage treatment systems, resulting in a grade of B. In total, four of Holland’s plug-in capable ships dock at a port with shoreside power and 11 have scrubbers installed, giving the company a C+ in this category. Between 2010 and 2014, six ships in Holland’s current fleet traveled to Alaska. Alaska permitted two of the current fleet to discharge in state waters, and Alaskan authorities cited both of those ships with 22 violations of state water pollution standards, giving Holland an 89 percent for water quality compliance in Alaska, or an A-.