Carnival Cruise Lines - Final Grade: "D"
Carnival Cruise Lines launched in March 1972. Headquartered in
Of Carnival’s 24 ships, only four – the Carnival Spirit, Carnival Vista, Carnival Liberty and Carnival Dream – have installed advanced sewage treatment systems, resulting in a grade of F for the company’s 16 percent sewage treatment score. In recent years, Carnival has made multiple commitments to reduce air pollution. Carnival announced in its 2009 Sustainability Report that it would install shoreside power capability in all ships that home port at the Port of Long Beach by 2014, though to date only three of its plug-in capable ships dock in ports with shoreside power. With the advent of stricter North American Emission Control Area sulfur regulations, Carnival Corporation announced it spent $400 million to develop and install scrubber technology in 22 Carnival ships, and has thus far installed scrubbers in 17 ships. Carnival raised its air pollution reduction grade from 2014’s D to a C-. Between 2010 and 2014, two Carnival ships traveled to Alaska and Alaskan authorities cited one of the ships with a total of four water quality violations, earning Carnival a 95 percent for water quality compliance in Alaska.
Carnival Cruise Lines - Cruise Ship Fleet
|Ship Name||Cruise Line||Total Persons on Board||Destinations||Sewage Treatment||Air Pollution Reduction||Water Quality Compliance||Final Ship Grade|
|Carnival Spirit||Carnival Cruise Lines||3610||Australia, South Pacific, New Zealand, Southeast Asia||11||00||11||06|
|Carnival Conquest||Carnival Cruise Lines||4130||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, Central America, Mexico||00||00||N/A||00|
|Carnival Sunshine||Carnival Cruise Lines||4042||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, Central America, Mexico, Canada||00||05||N/A||01|
|Carnival Dream||Carnival Cruise Lines||5013||Caribbean, Central America, Mexico||11||05||N/A||09|
|Carnival Ecstasy||Carnival Cruise Lines||2976||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, Mexico||00||05||N/A||01|
|Carnival Elation||Carnival Cruise Lines||2976||Caribbean, Mexico, U.S. East Coast||00||05||N/A||01|
|Carnival Fantasy||Carnival Cruise Lines||2974||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, Mexico||00||05||N/A||01|
|Carnival Fascination||Carnival Cruise Lines||2976||Caribbean, Central America, Mexico||00||08||N/A||02|
|Carnival Freedom||Carnival Cruise Lines||4130||Caribbean, Central America, Mexico||00||08||N/A||02|
|Carnival Glory||Carnival Cruise Lines||4130||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, Central America, Mexico||00||00||N/A||00|
|Carnival Imagination||Carnival Cruise Lines||2976||Mexico, U.S. West Coast||00||10||N/A||03|
|Carnival Inspiration||Carnival Cruise Lines||2976||Mexico, U.S. West Coast||00||11||N/A||04|
|Carnival Legend||Carnival Cruise Lines||3054||Canada, U.S. West Coast, Alaska, Hawaii||11||11||N/A||11|
|Carnival Liberty||Carnival Cruise Lines||4134||Caribbean, Mexico||00||00||N/A||00|
|Carnival Miracle||Carnival Cruise Lines||3058||Mexico, Hawaii, U.S. West Coast||00||11||N/A||04|
|Carnival Paradise||Carnival Cruise Lines||2972||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, Mexico||00||00||N/A||00|
|Carnival Pride||Carnival Cruise Lines||3054||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast||00||05||N/A||01|
|Carnival Sensation||Carnival Cruise Lines||2976||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast||00||00||N/A||00|
|Carnival Splendor||Carnival Cruise Lines||4162||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, Central America, Mexico||00||05||N/A||01|
|Carnival Triumph||Carnival Cruise Lines||3854||Caribbean, Mexico||00||05||N/A||01|
|Carnival Valor||Carnival Cruise Lines||4160||Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, U.S. East Coast||00||05||N/A||01|
|Carnival Victory||Carnival Cruise Lines||3854||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, Mexico||00||08||N/A||02|
|Carnival Breeze||Carnival Cruise Lines||5076||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, Central America, Mexico||00||05||N/A||01|
|Carnival Magic||Carnival Cruise Lines||5057||Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, Central America, Mexico||00||05||N/A||01|
|Carnival Vista||Carnival Cruise Lines||5406||Caribbean, Central America, Mediterranean, Mexico, U.S. East Coast||11||11||N/A||11|
Grading methodology for the 2016 Cruise Ship Report Card
Friends of the Earth’s Cruise Ship Report Card ranks 17 major cruise lines and 171 cruise ships -- Carnival Cruise Lines, Celebrity Cruises, Costa Cruises, Crystal Cruises, Cunard Cruise Line, Disney Cruise Line, Fathom, Holland America Line, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Oceania Cruises, P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Royal Caribbean Int’l, Seabourn Cruise Line and Silversea Cruises -- according to four environmental criteria: Sewage Treatment, Air Pollution Reduction, Water Quality Compliance and Transparency.
- To determine a cruise line’s Sewage Treatment grade, we compared the number of cruise ships in the cruise line that have installed advanced sewage treatment systems against the total number of ships in the cruise line.
- To determine the Air Pollution Reduction grade for each ship in a cruise line, we graded ships on whether they had installed scrubbers or were capable of plugging into shoreside power. Cruise ships that installed both technologies and docked in ports with shore power received an A, while ships that only installed scrubbers or only installed shore power capability but did not dock at ports with shoreside power were given a C. In addition, ships were given credit if they only utilize low sulfur fuels continuously at levels lower than required by international and U.S. law.
- To determine the Water Quality Compliance grade for ships operating in Alaska, we used notices of violation issued for individual cruise ships to each cruise line by the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation from 2010 to 2014. Ships were given an ‘N/A’ if they traveled to Alaska but avoided Alaska’s strong water quality standards by discharging outside of those protected waters.
- To determine the Transparency grade for each cruise line we graded each line based on whether it responded to our 2015 requests for information regarding their environmental practices.
- The grades for each of the four criteria were averaged to calculate the Final Grade for each cruise line.