Position: Field director
Availability: Berkeley, Ca.
Friends of the Earth Action provides extra political muscle on key legislative battles here in the U.S. to our sister organization, Friends of the Earth, which is part of the world’s largest grassroots environmental network in 76 countries. Friends of the Earth Action places environmental advocates in the field on critical campaigns to fight for laws and lawmakers that protect the environment.
Field director job description:
Friends of The Earth Action is hiring staff to run canvass outreach programs, membership and fundraising campaigns and other paid field programs across the country. We are looking for confident and motivating political operatives who are excited to recruit, train and supervise a team of canvassers. Opportunities exist for both expert campaigners and those looking to gain experience in politics.
The field director will lead their canvasser team to organize and activate citizen participation and grassroots support on the following legislative issues:
- Stop the use of bee-killing pesticides, which are harming bees and other species critical to food production.
- Fight for labeling GMO food; we have the right to know what we are buying and feeding our families.
- Protect the health and viability of our communities; our rivers and oceans, farmlands and endangered salmon and orcas from the threat of proposed massive fossil fuel export projects in the Pacific NW.
- Advocate for safe and sustainable energy; demand that our elected officials act now to prevent the impending climate crisis.
- Fight the influence of big money in politics by passing comprehensive campaign finance reform.
- Oppose corporate power grabs and trade agreements that would rollback laws that protect our health and environment.
- Field directors will manage the day-to-day operations of a field campaign.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Recruit, train, and manage a staff of canvassers
- Track and report data and progress
- Manage turf–canvassed areas
- Manage a membership and fundraising budget
- Manage voter education, ballot initiatives, registration, and turnout.
- Ensure program is operated with a high level of quality and professionalism
- Work with senior staff to set and accomplish campaign goals
- Other organizing activities as needed.
- Commitment to environmental, social, and progressive political issues.
- Grassroots field experience on at least one issue or electoral campaign.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead, train and manage a team of field canvassers.
- Ability to provide analysis about canvas performance
- Time management skills and attention to detail are a necessity.
- Working knowledge of online database, and field reporting systems, or demonstrate the ability to learn them.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, solve problems, and set priorities in a fast-paced, high-performance environment.
- Flexibility and a sense of humor.
- Salary range of $35,000-$40,000 dependent upon skills and experience.
- Excellent healthcare and benefits
- Significant advancement opportunities available for career minded individuals.
- Excellent training on issues and skills.
- Great management training program.
- Opportunities for travel and relocation.
Contact Michael Blanch, national field director
Email resume to: FOEActionjobs@gmail.com
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer.