Princess Cruises - Final Grade: "C"
Princess Cruises - Cruise Ship Fleet
|Ship Name||Cruise Line||Total Persons on Board||Destinations||Sewage Treatment||Air Pollution Reduction||Water Quality Compliance||Final Ship Grade|
|Coral Princess||Princess Cruises||2895||Alaska, Central America, Canada, Caribbean, Mexico, U.S. East Coast, U.S. West Coast, South America||11||10||11||11|
|Sun Princess||Princess Cruises||2934||Australia, New Zealand, Asia, South Pacific, Southeast Asia, Alaska, Europe, Hawaii, U.S. West Coast||11||10||N/A||11|
|Diamond Princess||Princess Cruises||3806||Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Southeast Asia, Europe, South Pacific||11||05||11||10|
|Dawn Princess||Princess Cruises||2922||Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific, Southeast Asia, Asia, Hawaii||11||05||11||10|
|Golden Princess||Princess Cruises||3736||Alaska, Hawaii, South Pacific, Canada, U.S. West Coast, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Southeast Asia||11||11||11||11|
|Star Princess||Princess Cruises||3700||Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, U.S. West Coast||11||11||00||09|
|Island Princess||Princess Cruises||3114||Alaska, Central America, Canada, Caribbean, U.S. East Coast, U.S. West Coast, Antarctic, South America||11||11||11||11|
|Sea Princess||Princess Cruises||2926||Australia, Caribbean, Central America, Europe, Hawaii, New Zealand, South Pacific, Southeast Asia, U.S. East Coast, Africa, Arctic, Asia, Canada, India, Middle East, South America||11||10||11||11|
|Sapphire Princess||Princess Cruises||3778||Southeast Asia, Asia||11||05||09||09|
|Grand Princess||Princess Cruises||3756||Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, U.S. West Coast||11||11||10||11|
|Pacific Princess||Princess Cruises||1047||Europe, South America, Australia, Caribbean, Central America, Hawaii, Mediterranean, New Zealand, South Pacific, U.S. East Coast, Africa, Arctic, Asia, India, Mexico, Middle East, Southeast Asia, U.S. West Coast||11||00||11||04|
|Caribbean Princess||Princess Cruises||4342||Canada, Caribbean, Arctic, Central America, Europe, Mexico, U.S. East Coast, Mediterranean||00||11||N/A||04|
|Crown Princess||Princess Cruises||4282||Caribbean, Europe, Alaska, Canada, Central America, Hawaii, Mediterranean, Mexico, South America, South Pacific, U.S. East Coast, U.S. West Coast, Antarctic, Arctic||00||11||11||04|
|Emerald Princess||Princess Cruises||4292||Caribbean, Canada, Arctic, Central America, Europe, Mediterranean, Mexico, Africa, Antarctic, Australia, Hawaii, India, New Zealand, South Pacific, Southeast Asia, U.S. West Coast||00||11||N/A||04|
|Ruby Princess||Princess Cruises||4284||Canada, Mexico, Alaska, U.S. West Coast||00||11||N/A||04|
|Royal Princess||Princess Cruises||4800||Caribbean, Europe, Mediterranean, U.S. East Coast, Africa, Mexico||11||05||N/A||09|
|Regal Princess||Princess Cruises||4906||Europe, U.S. East Coast, Arctic||11||10||N/A||11|
Grading methodology for the 2016 Cruise Ship Report Card
Friends of the Earth’s Cruise Ship Report Card ranks 17 major cruise lines and 171 cruise ships -- Carnival Cruise Lines, Celebrity Cruises, Costa Cruises, Crystal Cruises, Cunard Cruise Line, Disney Cruise Line, Fathom, Holland America Line, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Oceania Cruises, P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Royal Caribbean Int’l, Seabourn Cruise Line and Silversea Cruises -- according to four environmental criteria: Sewage Treatment, Air Pollution Reduction, Water Quality Compliance and Transparency.
- To determine a cruise line’s Sewage Treatment grade, we compared the number of cruise ships in the cruise line that have installed advanced sewage treatment systems against the total number of ships in the cruise line.
- To determine the Air Pollution Reduction grade for each ship in a cruise line, we graded ships on whether they had installed scrubbers or were capable of plugging into shoreside power. Cruise ships that installed both technologies and docked in ports with shore power received an A, while ships that only installed scrubbers or only installed shore power capability but did not dock at ports with shoreside power were given a C. In addition, ships were given credit if they only utilize low sulfur fuels continuously at levels lower than required by international and U.S. law.
- To determine the Water Quality Compliance grade for ships operating in Alaska, we used notices of violation issued for individual cruise ships to each cruise line by the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation from 2010 to 2014. Ships were given an ‘N/A’ if they traveled to Alaska but avoided Alaska’s strong water quality standards by discharging outside of those protected waters.
- To determine the Transparency grade for each cruise line we graded each line based on whether it responded to our 2015 requests for information regarding their environmental practices.
- The grades for each of the four criteria were averaged to calculate the Final Grade for each cruise line.
Princess Cruises was founded in 1965 and was the first of today’s modern cruise lines to focus on the leisure travel market. Headquartered in
California, Princess is a subsidiary of Carnival Corp., which controls almost 50 percent of the worldwide cruise ship market, and Princess currently operates 18 cruise ships.
Of the 18 Princess cruise ships, 13 have installed advanced sewage treatment systems, resulting in a grade of B for the company’s 72 percent sewage treatment score. In determining the air pollution reduction grade, only one Princess ship has neither shore power capability nor scrubbers installed and eight Princess ships have both technologies installed in addition to docking in ports with available shoreside power giving Princess a B+ for air pollution reduction. Notably, Princess has invested approximately $7 million to bring shoreside electrical technology to Juneau, Alaska, Seattle, Washington, Vancouver, British Columbia, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego in California and Halifax, Nova Scotia. Between 2010 and 2014, eleven Princess ships traveled to Alaska and Alaskan authorities cited seven ships with 69 violations of state water pollution standards, giving Princess an 88 percent and an A- for water quality compliance in Alaska.